I love Zatarain’s jambalaya box mix. It isn’t the cheapest or healthiest option though, so I went on a hunt for a good home made jambalaya recipe. I found a good recipe and modified it until it was great. I hope you like it!
- 1 cup long-grain white rice (like parboiled rice)
- 3 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) beef stock or broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 pound fully cooked smoked sausage or kielbasa
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir to fully mix. This mixture can be stored in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- Cut kielbasa into small bite-size pieces.
- Combine rice mix with remaining ingredients in a heavy bottom saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender (about 30 minutes).
- Discard bay leaf and serve while hot.
Copyright © 2012 Corban Works, LLC